3.29.2010

[Originals] Operation: Terror (Prequel)

SO...PROMISES ARE PROMISES. I WILL BE SHARING WITH YOU A SELECTION OF STORIES WRITTEN BY ME OVER THE YEARS. WE ARE GOING TO SEE THE FIRST THING I EVER WROTE, BACK IN 2004 AND THAT IT TOOK ME OVER A YEAR TO FINISH UP. THIS IS THE FIRST PART OF A TRILOGY THAT IS STILL ON THE WORKS, BUT THOUGHT IT'D BE NICE TO POST HERE. THIS IS THE PREQUEL, CALLED 'WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE'. IT HAS BEEN CHECKED FOR ERRORS. I HOPE YOU ENJOY IT!

NICODRINA

OPERATION: TERROR

PREQUEL "WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE"


2 1/2 YEARS EARLIER
LANGLEY, VIRGINIA
CIA HEADQUATERS


CIA agents Dave Sanders and Stephen Levine are sitting on their desks just like every morning talking about the benefits and consequences this job have for them since 9/11. These two partners and close friends don't know that today ac chain of events will unfold causing big changes to their lives.
"Man, now that I think about it... since 9/11 this world has changed" Sanders said.
"Yeah, and our work load has doubled since then. There are days when I simply hate this job" Stephen said, a bit angered. It was clear that today was one of those 'dull' days.
"But think about this, Stephen: You get paid big cash to keep this country and the world safe. And it's an exciting job as well" Sanders replied, trying to be more optimistic.
"It's an exciting job when you get to go undercover to the field. Not when you're behind a desk"
"Word of advice: Take a look at the bright side. I like what I do for a living, do you?"
"Yeah, I do. The only thing that's crappy about our job is the person running it: Benson. The guy's a real pain in the ass most of the time"
"I guess there isn't a single person in this agency who doesn't think that" Sanders said and both men laughed.
"Speaking about the job: You've got to admit that there are personal consequences that come with this job..."
"If you work for the CIA, forget about having a life or a family!!"
"But after a time you get used to that. You just have to find the right person" as Stephen was saying this, Benson's secretary Jen shows up behind them. To establish her presence, she clears her throat.
"Excuse me if I interrupted your 'bonding ritual', gentlemen. Director Benson wants to see Dave"
"Am I getting fired?" Dave asked, half kidding, half truth.
"Very funny, Sanders. Let's go" Jen said. Dave got up and left to Benson's office, questioning his fate at the CIA. The first change was about to happen.

Sanders was staring outside Anthony Benson's office. His boss was probably talking to one of his 'powerful friends'. On the 10 months Sanders had been working there, he had never got along with Benson and now what did he want with him? That he was going to find out now. He knocked on his door and Benson made him a gesture to enter the office. Before crossing the door, he cursed 'jackass' under his breath, referring to Benson, but he didn't hear his subordinate.
"Come on in" Benson said, pointing to the chair facing him. Sanders sat down.
"You wanted to see me?" Dave said, not sure of what to expect.
"Yes. Today's your lucky day, son"
"Am I getting fired?"
"No. Actually, I have an assignment for you" Benson said. Dave's response was halfway between relief, because he wasn't getting fired, and curiosity because he wondered what this "assignment" would be about.
"Assignment?"
"Have you ever heard of a terrorist group called the European Liberation Army?"
"Yes. What do they have to do with this assignment?"
"You know they're becoming a threat not only to Europe, but to this country"
"Yes, sir... but what's my role here?"
"I need one of my men to infiltrate on the inside. Indefinitely. Basically, I need someone who can bring down these bastards. This means you're going to the field. Are you in?" he asked. A big silence filled the room because Sanders is thinking what to do.
"What about my pay? And what about Agent Levine?" Dave asked. Once the answers to those questions were figured out, he would make a choice.
"Your pay will be maintained, and you'll receive it through an intermediary. And as for Stephen... that's Personnel's business. You're still with me?"
"Yes, sir. I'm in" Dave responded firmly. He and Benson shook hands, and as he was about to leave, Benson stopped him.
"Sanders... I forgot something. We will have to keep you in a hotel for a few days. Routine procedure. You can go home now"
"Thank you, sir" he said and exited.

Back at the bullpen, Stephen was browsing the database for information on a terrorist cell when the fact that Sanders is putting his things on his bag catches his eye. Stephen approaches him.
"Whoa!! Where do you think you're going?" he asked.
"Home. Benson let me go home earlier"
"Does any of this have to do with that meeting you just had with 'the boss'?"
"Walk with me" Dave said and both men went to the men's room.
"What I'm about to tell you doesn't leave this room: Benson just offered me a 'job' inside the ELA... and I took it. I'm going off tonight, so this means you're gonna be out of a partner for a while. I'm sorry."
"What?? Whoa! Congratulations, man"
"That's all you have to tell me?"
"Yeah, I mean... I'm gonna miss you and no one will ever replace you, bro" Stephen said, emotionally.
"Don't get too emotional. It's not that big of a deal. And you know that we'll still be friends and that we'll keep in touch" Sanders said and both men hugged. After that, each one went his way. A cycle had been closed, but another one will open very soon...

SIX WEEKS LATER
LANGLEY, VIRGINIA
CIA HEADQUATERS


Six weeks had passed since the last time Levine saw Sanders. He had learnt to deal with the lack of a partner and he had started to develop a new way of working...by himself. But today it was the day it'll all change. The day a new cycle will begin. He was heading to Benson's office when he bumped into a woman, colliding with her.
"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry" he said to her as she was on the floor.
"Watch it, pal" she replied as she tried to get back on her feet.
"I said I was sorry. What's wrong with you?"
"I heard you the first time. I'm not deaf" she snapped back.
"Who are you, anyways?" he asked, trying to remember if he had seen her before around the office.
"You first"
"I'm Stephen Levine, and you are..."
"Marcia Crawford. I'm the newest hiring in this boys club and the replacement for a guy named Dave Sanders" she said. Stephen was shocked by every word she said.
"So, you are my new partner?"
"Partner??? I'm gonna be working alongside YOU??!! You have to be kidding me"
"I'm not kidding, Marcia. Dave Sanders was my former partner, so that'll make you my new one"
"Well. Not what I expected, but nice to meet you, Stephen"
"The same for you, Marcia" he said and both shook hands.
"I'm quite curious: How old are you? And how did you end up here?"
"I'm 22 going on 23, and I got recruited. I'm sorry I'm being so incommunicative, but I have to go to sign some papers"
"Wait. Can I invite you for a drink after work? My treat. The Hideout at 7 PM, ok?" he offered. Knowing that this would be a great opportunity to reveal the man behind the asshole, she agreed. She smiled at him before leaving and both went separate ways...

[For the next two years, many changes came. Not only personally, but professionally. Many agents were gone and other newcomers arrived.
Sanders is still infiltrated inside the ELA, and has been travelling with them around the world. He has collected a significant amount of evidence against this terrorist group.
The relationship between Stephen and Marcia improved a lot, thanks to the maturing and time factors. They have worked successfully in a big number of projects... together. The possibility of a romance was open for both until 3 months ago, when Marcia started to date somebody. She's really happy now.
Everybody hopes what lies ahead is as good as it is right now, but soon enough, it'll all go to hell...*]

No comments: