4.16.2010

Chic du Press / Volume 3

Corresponding to April 7th.

Nicodrina


Another wednesday, where on earth will they send us to today? It started off slightly better: I got a 3,4, and the assistant says I write nicely. It's just that I have to polish my mistakes. But hey, at least it's a slight progress compared to the previous one. I struggled in the pop quiz on current affairs, and a couple of friends saved my ass in the first 'bring your own news' (auto-pauta) day. From now on, all reportings will be like this. So I worked with them for the week, and we settled for the visit of the Regional Governor to a public hospital as part of a damage evaluation post-earthquake. We took off in one of their cars, and we got lost when leaving the highway. It's new places, and a whole new reality. Everything is so different, even the smells on a public hospital, and when following the Governor (excuse the language), the place was really fucked up. And to add to it, he said NOTHING useful in the press conference. By then, I was becoming nervous because I couldn't find my news angle and add to it the fact that the professor would be the one correcting this (Oh, great. JUST what I needed to hear!).

But you gotta have intuition in this business, that's why me and a mate took notice of the opposite side of the story, so I ended up focusing it on the angle of a work conflict and contradictive versions regarding the reconstruction. And my other friend was direct enough to shove my recorder in the Governor's mouth and flirt with a graphic reporter to help us get a brief statement. Got it, and after giving it a listen, it had nothing useful. Sweet, not only everyone has an idiot face in this administration, but they talk nonsense.

Time was ticking by then, so one drove, another made calls, and I found the main points of audio in the back. Because of that rush, we got in the wrong side of the freeway, and had to make a huge turn (thank my orientation, apart from the fact that I don't drive). But eventually we got there and started typing the chronicle as fast as we could, trying to fill the required spaces and make it interesting (Forget about eating today, the stress was way TOO high!). Don't ask me how, but I managed to finish and deliver it (printer issues included). Looking at my odds, I could feel confident, but they aren't so high...

No comments: