

So FINALLY the day came, and the eight season of '24' premiered. Thankfully internet exists, so that's how I could watch 'em. These are due every tuesday (except that I'm late, thanks to problems with Blogger), and will be my attempt at recaps
If you haven't seen them yet...PLEASE DON'T READ BEYOND THIS POINT!!! Spoilers for you :)
(Photos from 24spoliers.com ... Tomorrow I'm enrolling back in college, so it'll take a bit to watch hour 5 and give my thoughts)
Nicodrina
Day 8: Hours 1-4
First off, I thought the first two hours were a little bit slow (but not bad) compared to the other two.
Let's start off with Jack Bauer. It was kinda refreshing to see him as a grandfather...Okay, I admit it. Cute as hell seeing him smile! But since is '24', all these seasons have taught me that happiness for this guy isn't everlasting, so it wouldn't take long for him to get tangled in the plot du jour xD. For as much as he tried to get away and move with Kim and her spouse, it's always like this. All it took was the visit of an informant to get the wheels rolling.
Now onto the new CTU. Gotta say I missed it, since we were used to it on previous seasons. But the new characters will take a while to grow on me. Hastings (the head this season) is a complete jerk! I don't know, he's too...stubborn and not so convincing compared to others that have been in his shoes. I bet he and Jack are gonna be in a lot more confrontation. Then there's Chloe. Gotta ask: What is wrong with her this year? O'Brian is one of my favorite characters, and in the geek aspect I can relate to her, but during these first four hours it's like I can't stand her and her face. Hastings ignores her theory of the assassin, and she even tries to tell Jack about it, since they have always had each other's back. But Chloe looks like she's been ignored a bit. They better do something better with her storyline later on :).
The new agents? Arlo Glass is a perv, just judge by his first appearance. Still don't understand this character, or what his job even is. Expendable. Cole Ortiz and Dana Walsh must've been the two that stood out from that mass. They are both a couple, pretty much in love on this new CTU (that let me mention it's a lot more technologic and futurist than past versions). Cole seems like a younger Jack, and even reminds me of Chase Edmunds on Season 3. And he has proven to have a badass side to him, especially when there's the blast while trying to protect Hassan and his family (Episode 3, if I'm not mistaken). A mini-Jack that still has to prove he can be like him (especially for the fact that he admires Jack). For the record, I'm not a Freddie Prinze Jr. fan, so he better leave me with a good impression of his work. And there's Dana (the actress being famous from a Sci-Fi show before '24'). She might be my favorite character so far, and looks like she's Chloe's boss. Cute, smart and polite. The only thing that would ruin it for me is that if the writers decide to extend this...secret/dude plot. At first it catches your attention when this guy adresses her as 'Jenny', and you wanna know what her secret is, but then it becomes dull and boring. So they better solve it soon! Thank you.
Now it's the turn for Hassan & Taylor. The peace agreement plot must be the more real staging I've seen yet (and forgot to mention that it's refreshing to see that the city this year is NY. I'd love to go back there one day). President Taylor won my respect this season, and here we see her more confident and with renewed staff (Ethan Kanin now is Sec. of State, and has a new Chief of Staff. Still don't know what to think of him *eye roll*. She's more than willing to make it work, and seems more firm in her beliefs, but I still have to see that :). And then there's Omar Hassan (and all the drama behind him). Anil Kapoor is a great actor ('Slumdog Millionaire'), and he proves it as the President of a Middle Eastern country. He also wants to make this peace agreement a reality but he has to deal with attacks against himself, someone from the inside that is working for the other side and family affairs (a marriage falling apart, and the entire reporter plot. Her interrogation showed that they're taking it easier with the torture controversy there was last year). But the Meredith Reed storyline was...dull. Didn't think it brought much to the table.
And last, but not least...we have Renee Walker. My favorite character during Season 7had a DRASTIC change between days. Now she's close to be a Jacqueline Bauer (or Jackie Bauer. Take your pick of phrase). She comes back more kick-ass and brutal than ever, after being fired from the FBI and being undercover inside the Russian Mob. Those who saw the end of Episode 4 know what I'm talking about with this 'She's gone all Jack / psycho', and episode 5 promises much more action and seeing this 'dark past' everyone's talking about with her. But no matter what, Walker is awesome and I'll always love her. And...if throughout this season there's a little chemistry, or even making-out between her and Jack, I won't complain! (Waited all day 7 for that, and it made me lose a bet xD)
The clock keeps on ticking. Until next recap!
No comments:
Post a Comment